Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Mythology

Okay...so the Common Core has arrived in Georgia and we have jumped in head first.  (And here I forgot my floaties, because I think I'm sinking!)

Um, yes I believe I am adjusting well.  Or is it, well I am adjusting.  Not sure of the correct syntax for that sentence.  Two very different meanings!  And that's mainly because of this standard:


ELACC4RL4:  Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in 
a text, including those that allude to significant characters found in mythology 
(e.g., Herculean).

In order to determine the meaning of words as they allude to mythology the students must know mythology.  Do I really spend precious time teaching mythology just so they can determine the meaning of an illusion...er, allusion.

Well I guess so, and recently Richard Byrne posted about Hero's Journey from Read Write Think.  While it's designed for more advanced learners, I do believe it holds some potential for my 4th graders.


Within the next few weeks my students will pick from a list of mythology.  I plan to give them a list of options of different mythologies from different cultures to choose from; mostly Greek/Roman, but also some Native American and Chinese.  This will be a great opportunity assess on several of our new Common Core standards!!

I'm excited to see what my students discover...and maybe they can venture out and write their own mythology.

BTW...Check out the Myth-O-Mania books(if you haven't yet) by Kate McMullen.  My LBK's love them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...